Urban Land Institute Houston Names Historic Fire Station No. 6 Development of Distinction Award Winner


The Urban Land Institute Houston announced its 2014 Development of Distinction Award winners at the Rice Crystal Ballroom Monday night (Feb 3, 2014). The Development of Distinction awards recognizes real estate developments that exemplify best practices in design, construction, community health & economic viability within the Houston area.

During the gala ULI Houston named Historic Fire Station No. 6 as Development of Distinction Award Winner in the For-Profit (small-scale) category.

Originally built in 1903, Fire Station No. 6 was renovated and repurposed as office space between 2005-2012. It now serves as headquarters for Axiom.



In the For-Profit Category, it was initially announced that BG Group Place (Developed by Gerald D.  Hines and owned by Invesco) was the category winner but in a surprise move, the judges announced that Historic Fire Station No. 6 was also the category winner in the For-Profit Category. The judges explained the decision by saying that it was “impossible to compare a 46 floor skyscraper in downtown Houston to a historical restoration of a 110 year old fire station from Houston’s past”.

One of the judges was quoted as saying; “Fire Station No. 6 is in a category all by itself.”

Owner Tom Hair with the ULI Houston Development of Distinction Award


From ULI Houston’s Press Release
“Historic Fire Station No. 6 was developed and is owned by 1702 Washington Avenue, LTD. On Washington Avenue's east end, this fire station, which was originally established in 1903, was successfully repurposed from an historic but dilapidated structure into an adaptive new use, as offices of creative design firm Axiom. The National Trust of Historic Preservation in Washington D.C. noted, “Today, Fire Station 6 in Houston is a beacon for historic adaption done right.” Houston Archaeological and Historic Commission (HAHC) noted, “By capturing the spirit and character of historic Fire Station 6, while creating a 21st century purpose for the landmark, this great building will survive." This privately-funded historic preservation not only saved the built environment, but also preserves our community heritage for future generations. The design team included Carlin/White Associates (architects), 12-15 Corporation (general contractor), Chaffin Associates (civil engineers), Wylie Consulting Engineers (structural engineer) and LANDology (landscape architects).”

Below were some notable tweets about the night. 


Comments